Saturday 24 September 2011

The Barge

We were on the barge on the Aswan Dam for 3 days. Getting on the barge is just as adventurous as being on it. We have to load 9 vehicles on this overloaded, rusted metal boat. Getting the papers and permits in place was quite challenging. By law, cars have to go on the barge and people on the ferry. But my dad will not be able to go on the ferry with his wheelchair, so he has to go on the barge and he will need my brother and me to help him. By the time the barge left Aswan we still did not get permission from Sudan, but if we stayed we would miss the boat, literally.
Everyone left their cars and dogs with us on the barge.  They felt better having us there to keep an eye on their vehicles and take their dogs "for a walk".. There are no toilets and no water on board. We had to take some provisions with.
Marco and Daniella, our Swiss friends


As we approached the Sudan border the barge turned into something from a movie scene. We were sitting in the sun as a Military boat approached us. Just like the movies! A big grey boat with big guns and camouflaged officers. They tied their boat to our barge and climbed on board.  I got up and waited for them to see us. My stomach suddenly turned as I remembered that we still don't have the permits to be on the barge. When the officer in charge saw us, I knew from his face he did not expect to find us there.. They approached us and he was giving us orders in Arabic. I was not moving an inch, for I did not know what he was saying! I found myself praying to God that I don't know what to pray.. This was one of the most amazing moments in my life. Ive never felt so conscious in all my life. I could feel the barge rock again, feel the cold air burn my lungs and even the material of my clothes. I was super alert. And the next moment I felt so alive that I could hardly suppress my laughter! I started to smile at the officer in charge and I think he saw that I was overflowing of joy! He then looked at the other officers and back at me. He nodded and they got on their boat and left. Some times its what you know that gives you confidence, other times its what you don't know. A friend once told me that we never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public!
The ferry we should have been on
The barge we shouldn't be on
The last night I woke up rocking from side to side. We slept in our rooftop tent and we were going through some stormy weather! We were rocking so hectic that the car's shocks were not breaking the sudden stop on every side. I looked at my brother who's head was also rolling from side to side without waking up! I got out the tent and the waves were breaking over the sides of our barge. There was a lot of water on the barge already and as I got down from our tent the barge suddenly came to a stop throwing me into the car behind us. We have steered our barge onto an island to prevent it from sinking! The next morning I helped the skipper and the crew I have not seen till now, to get us off the island to continue our journey.

"A ship in the harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are built for."
Sunset on the barge

No comments:

Post a Comment